Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2009

First Mojo Monday Sketch

I finally made my first card using a Mojo Monday sketch. I don't know where the rest of you begin a project but I usually start mine with a sketch. From there it depends on what the card is for. If there is a particular theme, then I will pick out the stamps and then the color scheme. If it's a WTH kind of card then sometimes I'll pick out my colors first but I almost always start with a sketch. MOJO98 looked like an interesting one so I jumped in.

I ended up picking out my color scheme first on this card because I wanted to use some printed paper for a change and this piece from SU caught my eye. You can probably guess, since this design is 2+ years old, that I am a paper hoarder. The choice of using Wild Wasabi and Soft Sky were pretty much a no brainer since those were the colors in the print. Groovy Guava was never my favorite color but it added such pizzazz and it combined perfectly with Dusty Durango. So on to the stamps.

I looked at all the catagories of stamps I have and pulled down the 2 Step Stamping Binder on a whim. And yes, all of my stamps are unmounted, stuck to page protectors and stored in binders by categories. After flipping through a few pages I came upon this SU set called Flowers for a Friend. It just sort of jumped up and said "Use me and I will look so nice with those new punches that you just had to have and haven't used yet" so use them I did along with those punches.

After fiddling and fussing for a while this is what I ended up with. The sentiment, from JustRite Stampers was an afterthought that worked out rather well. I used a StampinUp Texture Plate on the Wild Wasabi base but it wasn't very deep. If anyone knows how to get a better impression with these please let me know.

Til next time...

Stamps: SU, JustRite
Paper: SU Wild Wasabi, Soft Sky, Dusty Durango & SU DSP
Ink: Wild Wasabi, Certainly Celery, Blue Bayou, Soft Sky, Dusty Durango, Groovy Guava
Other: Spellbinders circle dies; Martha Stewart Corner Loop and Edger Loop Continuous Edge punches; SU ribbon; SU Dotted Texture Plate

3 comments:

SLK said...

This is beautiful, Katie. Love it!

Suz

Chrissy Le said...

Love your card! Beautiful colors! I've been looking into Just Rite stamps, but haven't taken the plunge yet. :)

Janelle Stollfus said...

I am in love with those new MS punches and I haven't found them in any stores yet! Sorry I had to get that off my mind. Your card did come up rather well. I love the Justrite sentiment you added, it finishes it off very well.

The depth of plate issue (for my Cuttlebug)...I use a Tim Holtz misty mister and very lightly spray the intended paper and then I add another piece of cardstock on top of the sandwich as a shim...go real slow through your machine. Always start with a thin shim like cardstock and keep adding one (up to three for me) until you get a deeper impression. If you are using a Big Shot machine I'd talk to your demo/upline about getting a better impression. Hope this helps.