First step was to apply a book page with Acrylic Matte Medium which acted like both an adhesive and a sealer. Since I didn't have acrylic paint, I mixed Gelatos with the Matte Medium and painted over the whole canvas. Next I added a piece of burlap with the same medium and while that was drying I made the melon layer with more gelatos and matte medium, stamped a script background, embossed it with clear embossing powder to seal it then glued it over the burlap layer. For the bird and foliage I used the stamps from StampinUp's Friends 24-7, stamped with Versamark and then used black embossing powder. I colored them with Derwent Inktense Pencils, fussy cut them and set them aside.. If you've never tried the Inktense Pencils you are really missing out. They are the most fabulous watercolor pencils I have ever used and I have used them all.
Made a lace doily stencil with glossy cardstock and a Cheery Lynn die, placed it on the canvas and applied embossing paste. While the doily was held in place by the paste I lightly spritzed with Dylusions then removed the doily. While the doily was loaded with paste and colored spray, I placed it face down on a piece of mixed media paper, rubbed from the back then removed the doily. I now have a beautifully colored doily plus a doily print to use on other projects.
Verve Stamps on the upper right corner. May showed how to stamp on uneven surfaces by using just the stamp and not an acrylic block. It looked so easy until I tried to do it. Disaster! I ended up stamping on a piece of tissue, heat embossing in black and setting it in place with matte medium which makes the tissue disappear.
Final steps were to attached the foliage to the surface, the bird up on a bit of foam and some bits and bobs from my stash. I added just a hint of distressing with a stamp from Tim Holtz's Slight Alterations set and Wendy Vecchi Archival ink in Tree Branch. This was a really fun project and I plan on doing more of these little canvases.
Til next time...