I love my Prismacolor Markers. They’re fat, easy to hold, relatively inexpensive, American made, easy to blend and shade and come in plenty of colors. I saw no need to jump on the Copic bandwagon. Unfortunately I have been having a hard time removing the caps on my Prismacolors. I can use my pinky and ring finger around the cap and yank with the other hand but then I get ink all over the side of my hand and this technique only works on good days anyway. I tested some Copic Sketch Markers at a local store and found them much easier to open and not only are they comfortable in my hand, the oval shape prevents them from rolling away. So needless to say, I took the plunge… big time!
I got my first batch of markers at Christmas plus the Air Brush Kit. Never got to use them with all the remodeling but picked up an air compressor at Harbor Freight. Then I got a deal at DickBlick.com – one of those “Spend X amount to get 15% plus free shipping” – so I ordered more markers plus a set of Spica pens. Still didn’t use them but they were there just waiting for when I found the time. Well, last week, Dick Blick had another deal – spend $179 and get 20% off plus free shipping – soooo, I ordered more markers plus the second set of Spica pens. I must need my head examined. So here I am with 117 markers, 24 Spica Glitter pens, an air brush system and an air compressor. It is definitely time to get busy and use this stuff.
I used Viva La Verve’s Sketch Challenge for March/Week 2 and stamps from Verve’s Easter Joy set along with die cuts from Spellbinder’s Eyelets Pendant and Border sets and circle dies. Ink, cardstock and ribbon is from StampinUp.
I stamped the flower with Memento Tuxedo Black on 2 white circles. The one on the left I colored with Prismacolor Markers 147 Greyed Lavender, 129 Dahlia and 168 Dark Purple. The one on the right I colored with Copic V0000, V01 and V12. Blending and shading with Prismacolors is very easy so blending and shading with the Copics takes a bit of getting used to. Copics aren’t necessarily harder to work with, just different.
Airbrushing with Prismacolor markers is not possible so this was a whole new experience for me. I cut the flower from the Prismacolor circle to use as a mask, put the Copic circle back into the die, applied the mask and airbrushed with Copic Y00 then removed the mask and die. I was in awe. I cut a label and label mat with “the cutter that shall not be named”, stamped the sentiment on the white label with Su’s Rich Razzleberry, colored it with Copics then airbrushed with the Y00. I am hooked!
To finish the rest of the card I embossed the card front with SU’s polka dot embossing folder with my Big Shot, threaded SU’s Razzleberry Taffeta ribbon through the border die cut, added a bow and a few rhinestones from Imaginisce and there you have it.
If anyone is interested in trying alcohol markers and would like to buy my entire collection of Prismacolor markers at a very good price just email me.